Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Early Days

Shortly after we first met, I would come home after every one of our first few dates and tell Troy (my roommate at Old Academy where I was staying that summer) that I didn't think Jen liked me and that I thought it was pretty much over.  I'd complain that she didn't laugh at my jokes and didn't seem like she liked the dates we did.  Troy would listen without commenting.  Then after watching a few pitches (we watched a lot of baseball that summer) in silence, he'd say, "So…Jen, huh?".  I'd almost ask if he'd not heard what I'd just said, but I just figured I'd ask her out one more time and we'd see what happened.  

On about the third date, we got back to the Old Academy a little early, and so I asked her if she wanted to go up to the roof with me, saying that it was pretty romantic up there.  I was 90% joking, because I didn't think she'd go for such a cheesy move, but she said yes, so we climbed the ladder up to the roof.  It was a clear night and we could see the stars.  I was still shocked she wanted to go up with me, so I didn't try to make any moves.  I was busy trying to read her take on me.  If she liked me, why didn't she laugh at my jokes?  If she didn't, why did she want to come up to the roof with me?  Things weren't checking out.  

It was getting late, so I drove her back to her apartment at the colonial and walked her up to the door (keeping an eye on the car for fear of being towed).  We made some comments at her doorstep, and she jingled her keys.  I still hadn't processed everything to come to an answer on what was going on.  So as I was about to turn and leave I made a move and kissed her.   

Jen and I spent a lot of time together over the next few months.  Since we both had part time jobs and weren't going to school until fall, we had plenty of time to spend with each other during the day.  We would spend the morning/afternoon out by a pool soaking in sun, and then we'd have some sort of date to go on in the evenings (aren't summers great?).

Then one day she drove up in a big white F350 with two orange creamslushes.  She had come announced and was on her way to her family reunion.  I was floored.  I was used to making 95% of the effort in all my relationships with girls and was surprised that she had thought of me when I wasn't with her.

A few months later, I had signed up to be a 'Y Group' leader (Steve had told me it would be a great way to meet freshmen with dining cards that you could mooch off of).  They were a good group and we had a lot of fun.  One day I was supposed to meet Jen for lunch and one of the y groupies walked by and asked if I wanted to eat at the Skyroom (a nice restaurant at the top of the Will).  After a few moments of indecision I figured we could get up and eat lunch quick and I'd still be able to make it back to meet Jen.  

Jen was obviously pretty irritated (the y groupie turned out to be a girl).  And so she called to come over to talk.  I had a couple of buddies over to grill some chicken and so she sat with us, silent, while we barbecued.  I figured she was just tired or something.  Then we were going to go to the fall fling together, and on the way she wanted to have a pretty serious talk with me.  She said she didn't want to play games with me and if I wasn't going to be serious then she'd be on her way.  I told her I didn't think that was necessary and thought I could take things a little more seriously if that would help.  

We rarely ever had another fight.  We spent a lot of time together.  We'd study together.  Eat lunch together.  Watch Sunday movies together with her roommates. I'd go to her church.  My roommate Jason commented at one point that he had seen us holding hands.  He knew it was over at that point because he'd never seen me do that with just anyone.  

My family had planned on doing Thanksgiving that year in New York with Christina and Helaman who lived there at the time.  I commented at one point that I thought she should come along, but she declined saying she didn't think she was invited.  On the way back I got stranded in Phoenix (apparently airlines are released from all responsibility of being late if it rains).  I took a bus from Phoenix to Provo and 16 hours later I stepped off the bus.  It was the first time I'd not seen Jen in more than a few days.

At some point I was talking with Steve on the phone about a concern I had about Jen.  Steve laughed and said he thought we'd probably work our way through it.  I asked why he thought that.  What if this is it?  He said, well, that's probably not going to happen considering you guys have been together for like 6 months.  That was when it hit me.  This was it.  I was dating my wife.  

One day in early winter, Jen and I were discussing where we thought we'd live over the summer (because our contracts were up at our current places).  I would ask, "so where do you think you'll live next?"  Jen would respond, "well that kind of depends don't you think, Phil?"  I think I got the point.  

I went and bought a ring.  I had planned on waiting to go talk to her Dad, but decided I couldn't wait.  I called him up and asked what he thought.  He told me to come up to talk to him.  I told him I was actually planning on making it happen that night.  He said, "oh just do it then!"  I'd made a slideshow and showed it to her and then asked her to marry me.  Best decision ever.